The Christmas adverts are on TV and the shops are filling up with Christmas sparkle. I love this time of the year and it is especially wonderful to see the joy in the children. How do you mark advent in your home?
Last year we did an advent book basket, I wrapped a seasonal book for Tom to open each day. They were books we already had or ones from the charity shop. It was really lovely and it made story time particularly special.
Every year I do an activity based advent calendar which I include the children I look after in too. This is the picture of the one I made last year which I am going to reuse this year too. In each envelope I put a seasonal activity, the children get very excited to see what their task is that day!
Glassine envelopes sourced from eBay and pegs from Tiger store.
Here are some example of activities:
- Visit the library to borrow some seasonal book
- Make a special Christmas card
- Go a Christmas carol service or Christingle
- Make a Christmas decoration.
- Watch the Christmas lights being switched on.
- Bake Christmas treats
- Have a hot chocolate
- Write a Christmas list.
- Write Christmas cards to their friends
- Visit Father Christmas.
- Make a homemade Christmas gift.
- Choose 2 toys to give away to charity.
- Watch a Christmas movie.
- Go to a Christmas market/fair.
- Write a letter to Santa.
- Choose a new tree decoration.
- Go to a Christmas show/ Panto.
- Choose and decorate the Christmas tree
Another advent activity we are going to do this year is a “backwards” advent calendar where we have a box and each day we put an item in to give to a foodbank in January.
What do you do celebrate advent? Do you have special family traditions?
There are so many wonderful ideas on Pinterest- here are some of my favourites!
Happy advent everyone! xx